This time of year is often filled with the temptation to indulge in lots of sweet treats and sugary snacks. It is possible to enjoy the holiday season without sacrificing your dental health. Here are some simple steps everyone can take to protect their teeth while still enjoying the holidays.
- Limit snacking- Every time you eat something sweet the acid levels in your mouth increase, which can cause tooth enamel to weaken. Continuous snacking can create an extended acidic environment, leaving your teeth especially susceptible to tooth decay.
- Eat sweets along with a balanced meal-When you eat a meal, more saliva is produced which can neutralize the acid created when we eat sweets.
- Carry a travel size brush and toothpaste with you in your purse or keep one in your car.
- Although brushing and flossing is always best, chewing sugar free gum can help remove food from around your teeth when brushing isn’t possible.
- Rinse your mouth with water after you consume acidic beverages such as wine and soda.
- Avoid stress-This time of year can be very stressful. Stress can result in grinding or clenching of your teeth, which can cause wear, chips or cracks in your teeth along with headaches and jaw pain.
Give yourself the gift of a healthy smile this holiday season by brushing and flossing daily and seeing your dentist regularly for cleanings and check-ups.